Friday 2 June 2017

Lessons from Balak (Feasting at the Table edition)


Numbers 22:15-17

They came to Balaam, and said to him, “Thus says Balak the son of Zippor, ‘Please let nothing hinder you from coming to me.
for I will promote thee unto very great honor, and I will do whatsoever thou sayest unto me. Come therefore, I pray thee, curse for me this people.’”
CJB
I will reward you very well, and whatever you say to me I will do. So please come, and curse this people for me.’”
TLB
They came to Balaam with this message: “King Balak pleads with you to come. He promises you great honors plus any payment you ask. Name your own figure! Only come and curse these people for us.”

Balak sent more honourable and prestigious men to Balaam and  also promised Balaam promotion but it is only God that can truly  promote us (Psalms 75:6). Rather than the fee of divination which he sent the first time, Balak asks Balaam to name his price. He refused to take no for an answer.As a king , he may have encountered so many religious people and his experience might be that everyman had a price .He may have also thought to himself that Balaam said No because the price was not right.

We see the persistence of the enemy and sometimes we could learn from this to just keep on keeping on. It was persistence that made the man who came tio his friend at night that his friend got up to ask for bread or the widow who went to see the unjust judge . this woman kept persisting till the unjust judge decided to give the woman justice so that he is no more disturbed

But why was Balak so persistent? It was because he knew that this was a battle he needed to win ,that the stakes were very high , hence he could swallow his pride, repackage himself more for what he really wanted.

Is it possible  that we are not really getting what we want because we have failed to persist long enough, Unlike Balak, are we really ready to revamp, to put in more energy to that goal that seems further away from us, Balak did more for him to get what he wanted, he persisted at it. If we are going to get to our destination, we may as well learn from Balak and not take no as an answer sometimes.

Remember that time was crucial for this man, right in his front were his perceived enemies who could take out he and his people at any time and to stop this, he was ready to double his efforts , he sent more numerous men, more prestigious, he increased his price and did all in his power to ensure that the solution to his problem came. I see in him not just a stubbornness but a rigid doggedness that refuses to take no for an answer and child of God maybe it is time to ask ourselves it, is there need for me to double my efforts or use all I how bad do I want it, what I am asking God, am I putting my all to get have got ,not only in terms of money but even in terms of relationships, Balak throws all into the battle,in order to secure victory.

I see the leadership of Balak shown  actively for the protection of his people and his persistence. I know we are dealing with the errors of Balaam but this King Balak teaches us a lesson in persistence which is worth emulating.
In His Service,

Grace Tom-Lawyer

“The Error of Balaam” is being run now as the current Bible Study series on “Feasting at the Table” on Peace &Joy Radio @11am every Saturday with a Rebroadcast on Tuesday@7pm


No comments: